Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dia de Familia

Thanks everyone for all the prayers for Family Day. I must say that it went a little different than planned, but as everyone knows sometimes God has a little bit different plan that what us humans have. Nonetheless, the parents and children all had a lot of fun. Anyway I'll catch you up with all the details:

Saturday, some of us went out to a part of town that the bus goes to pick up children on Sunday mornings for church. We partnered up and went down the streets clapping outside the door (that's their way of a door bell), and passing out the invitations. I was with Tito, Kathy and Odali's boy that's around 13 years old. In the past, usually the Brazilians speak and the Americans hand out the invitations and smile. haha But this time, Tito made me talk by myself in Portugues. Shew. That was a learning experience. Not to mention, if you've ever visited here before, then you know a guy named Peter, who loves americans. I just so happened to visit his house while walking the streets. haha

The next morning (Sunday), when I got up, Lizene (who's a social worker and pretty much runs Alpha with the Barros), said there was no bus driver. The invitations said that the bus would be passing by around 8:40-8:45, but it was already 8:30. Eventually, they did get someone to drive the bus, but it was a little late.

The church service was a lot of fun. The pastor, Odali, had questions for people to answer and if they got it right, then they got a prize. Also, had candy and popcorn for everyone. Then, there were a few games. People played either against their parents or someone else, and whoever won got prizes, too. I thought everyone was having a lot of fun. However, I asked Lizene yesterday if she thought it went well, and she agreed. She shared that one of the boys that we talked with while passing out the invitations on Saturday had talked with Lizene about wanting his mom to come to church. She always says she will, but she never does. The boy asked Lizene if she asked his mom to come and she did. But, Li told the boy that he could pray about it. So, guess who was at church Sunday morning? The boy's mother! Lizene said that he was so happy! Hopefully he learned that he can ask and pray to God through that experience, and that God listens.

Yesterday, Kathy had me start to clean out a big room (if you've been to Alpha before, it's the blue and yellow devotional room), that she has started using for the very small children on Sunday mornings. Old furniture had been piled up on the walls, and it really needs a good wash. So, some of us removed all the furniture ( I mean, there was a LOT!). Today, we got the power washer out, and so far I've sprayed down the ceiling, getting rid of mold, wasps, and other dirty things. Later, I will be washing the walls down with soap, along with the floor. Then when it's ready, I will wax it. They have an old pool table and ping pong table, so it can also be used with the youth when it's done. Kathy is going to look to get the old couches fixed, or to just but a couple new ones because they aren't in the best condition. The room will look great when it's done and hopefully it will be ready to use on Sunday morning!

Well I guess that's about all the updates I have. But I'll end with another funny story again. On Saturday, a lady asked me if there was a sun in America because I am so white. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment